10.30.2014

The Romance Genre

I was talking to a good friend of mine recently about the romance genre - of movies or books.  He expressed his distaste of them.  Why?  "Because it gives girls a false picture of guys who will satisfy and meet their needs."

I partially agreed with him.

Yes, love stories via movies and books CAN give girls a false picture of guys.  But if a girl is strong in her belief system and remembers that these are just made up stories, I don't think there's necessarily any 'harm' in watching and reading them.

I think people are quick to group individuals into categories.  Guys are quick to group girls into a category of 'having unreal expectations of men' because of the books they read or the movies they watch.  I don't like all the people on social media who are like 'oh where's my ____' just as much as the next person.  Can't stand it, honestly.  Where's your Mr. Darcy?  Where's your Prince Charming?  Where's your Augustus Waters?  In books, that's where.  Sorry, girls, but they ain't real.

Sure, there can be certain characteristics and personality traits that I can like in a fictional male character.  And I enjoy a night in of watching The Vow or reading The Fault In Our Stars.  Any guy I meet, though, I don't just automatically compare to my favorite hero in a book or movie.  I compare him to Christ.  And if his lifestyle and personality doesn't align to His, then I don't give a rip about a character from a book or movie.

Oh and just a side note: most of my favorite heroes are book characters.  Aren't those just better anyway?


10.28.2014

3 Reasons Why I Didn’t Accept Jesus



“All you have to do is accept Him.”

“He loves you just the way you are, so you need to accept Him and His love.”

“Accept Him and what He did for you.”

This post is about the three reasons why I didn’t do any of these suggestions...


1)  Because it’s not Biblical.
If someone could point out a verse in the Bible that backs up any of the above “accept Jesus” statements, that’d be great.  Cuz honestly, I’ve read the Bible from cover to cover multiple times and have never found a singular one.  
And don’t give me a verse from The Message “Bible”.  Sorry, but that “version” doesn’t cut it for me.

2)  Because I couldn’t.
Ephesians 2 says, “And you were dead in your trespasses and sins in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world...”  How could someone who is dead miraculously decide to accept something?  Anything!  Instead, continuing on in Ephesians, it says, “BUT GOD, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loves us, even when we were DEAD in our transgressions, made us ALIVE together with Christ - by GRACE you have been saved.”

3)  Because I’m the one who needs acceptance.
Who is the greater one here?  Me or Jesus?  Do I need to accept Him?  “Oh sure, yeah, You can come into my life.”  That’s like giving Him permission.  And excuse me, but the God of the universe doesn’t need a finite human being - who HE created - to give Him permission to do anything.  Instead, it’s the completely opposite way around.  I am the dust of the earth, a sinner who has rebelled against His commands, and yet in knowledge that I am desperately in need of salvation.  And He accepted me.  12 years ago, a seven year old little girl asked God to forgive her of her sins - past, present and future.

Spectacular reality about that?

He had accepted me long before I asked Him to. 


“Just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him.  In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.”
- Ephesians 1:4-6

10.25.2014

Autumn Beauty // Giveaway

I follow Miss Haley on Instagram and love her account.  And also her art.  I asked her, a couple weeks ago, if she'd be willing to donate an art piece for me to give away.  She was more than happy to.  And readers, check out this gorgeous painting...


Get busy earning entries, peeps!

Here are a few ways you can.  Be sure to comment separately with each entry.

>> c o m m e n t  your favorite thing about autumn
>> f o l l o w  God's Daughter blog 
>> f o l l o w  Haley's blog
>> f o l l o w  Raquel on Twitter
>> f o l l o w  Haley on Twitter
>> f o l l o w  Raquel on Instagram (@itsjustraquel)
>> f o l l o w  Haley's personal Instagram (@imhaleyjane)
>> f o l l o w  Haley's Instagram art account (@haleyjanepaints)
>> f o l l o w  Raquel on Pinterest
>> f o l l o w  Haley on Pinterest
>> p i n  the above image and leave a comment with the direct link to it
>> c o m m e n t  on any other post here on God's Daughter
>> c o m m e n t  any blog post requests or questions (I may or may not have a vlog in the works) 

---

This is a US giveaway only.  Winner will be drawn on November 1st.

10.23.2014

Out of my league


“Out of my league...”

I have heard one too many guys say this.  And it annoys me every time.  I’m not sure if some people think it’s sweet - that a guy thinks a girl is ‘too good for him’ - or what, but honestly, I think it’s just an excuse.  An easy way out.

Maybe you don’t realize this, guys, but by using that line, you’re basically saying that the girl you DO end up with is ‘in your league’.  Now how do you think she’ll feel about that?  And by saying that a girl is out of your league you’re implying that...what?  You don’t rise to challenges?  You don’t accept that she IS too good for you and that you DON’T deserve her, so you’re just gonna give up?  Excuses are stupid.  And unattractive.  And immature.  Oh and it makes you look like a wimp.

Nothing comes easy in this life.  Including a woman’s heart.  Every married man who I’ve talked to has told me that he doesn’t deserve his wife.  He never did and never will.  A friendship with a woman is a gift.  A girlfriend is a gift.  A spouse is a gift.  And you’re not going to earn her trust or heart easily.  Pursuing a woman SHOULD be a challenge.  If it isn’t, it basically means that said woman doesn’t have high standards.  And in that case, you should move on.  Because a woman who doesn’t have high standards, doesn’t respect herself.  And a woman who doesn’t respect herself shouldn’t be on your radar for possible wife material.  Why?  Because if she lets you get to her so easily, what makes you think she won’t let other guys do the same?  But I digress.  That is a whole different topic.

Yesterday, I was thinking about what I wanted to say in this post.  Basically, I just wanted to express my annoyance with this term that so many guys I know have used.  And what better place to write about it than on my blog?  Hopefully this is something my readers will actually not mind reading.  And I am completely open to your thoughts and comments, so feel free to let me know what you think.  Maybe this is just a personal pet peeve.  Or maybe there are other girls out there who find this phrase dumb too.  I would like to know.

But to the guys...

Please stop saying that a girl is out of your league.  If she means anything to you, then pursuing her shouldn’t be something you cower from.  Sure, expressing feelings to a girl is a bit intimidating.  Okay, maybe a whole lot intimidating.  I totally get that.  Emotions and love and all those things are pretty intense and scary.  But don’t try to be all tough and cute and sweet by saying that “Oh yeah, she’s gorgeous and awesome but so out of my league”.  (Key word: try)  Honestly, I’ve never thought it was attractive that a guy said that.  He’s only using it as an excuse because he’s scared of trying.  But where are you going to get anywhere in this life if you’re scared?  Risk some things, okay?  Risk being rejected.  Risk not knowing her answer.  Risk pursuing her.  It may not work out.  She may say no.  But hey...what if she doesn’t?

10.22.2014

Everyday Blessings // 26


I'm finally back!  I will try to catch up on my lack of posts.

---


>> visiting a friend in Pennsylvania
>> attending the 14th wedding I was invited to this year
>> receiving funds for my trip, donated by blog readers and fans
>> purchasing my ticket to Peru
>> neck pillows
>> running into a friend at a layover, and the airline being kind enough to seat us together on the flight home
>> new books
>> introducing a friend to amazing movies
>> Lucky Charms
>> performing (singing) at a cafe
>> best friends sleep-over
>> this autumn weather
>> previewing a friend's completed manuscript

---

How has your October been so far?

10.17.2014

Even the broken

I've really missed blogging.  I've been in Pennsylvania for 9 days now (going home tomorrow... Oregon is calling me!!), so I will try to catch up a bit on posting.  It's been a good getaway time for me, though.  And I'm very thankful to have friends in other states who are willing to let me come stay with them for a while:)

Emily and I started an in-depth study through Philippians this week.  And as I sat here, making scribbly notes in my devotions journal, I felt prompted by the LORD to share an excerpt of it.  I pray it blesses you.

---


'...for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.'
- Philippians 1:19-20

Events that happen in our life may seem to us as curses.  But the beauty of knowing, serving, and trusting a sovereign God is the fact that - even amidst the most trying moments in our lives, when we feel the least brave, when we are acutely reminded of our weakness as humans...then, even then, we can hold our broken hearts up to Him and say 'Here, LORD, heal my crushed spirit.  And even now, I will still praise You.  Glorify Yourself in me.  I come to the Healer because I am a hurt and messed up individual. But I know You can, and will, use all things for Your glory.  So, Father, if there is any part of me left that You can use...take it and make it Yours.'

And He will.

10.06.2014

Realize the opportunities


I hate it when people say they are bored.  It’s one of my greatest pet peeves.

Whenever someone tells me that they’re bored or I overhear it or read it on their social medias, I feel like yelling, “Well then get off your butts and do something!”

I feel that sometimes my peers have no idea the opportunities they have/can do and what they are capable of accomplishing because of what they have available at their fingertips.  No one sets goals anymore, either.  Have you noticed that?  It’s like everyday is just a run-of-the-mill.  And that’s where, I think, many of us go wrong - because we just don’t realize this:

As single people, living in one of the most educated and technological countries in the world, so much is at our fingertips.  We can take advantage of so much equipment, so many classes, etc.  But no.  More often than not, you hear of how ‘bored’ people are.  How they party so often and hang out with friends.  Make stupid choices.  Get drunk.  Get pregnant.  Don’t have jobs.  And it’s like...really?  There are so many people your age who would do anything to be able to trade places with you so they could have the advantages that you do.  I have met some of these people personally, and it humbled me to know the reality of just how blessed and fortunate I am. 

It’s so stupid and sad to see people waste opportunities and huge life experiences for something pleasurable that will only last a few minutes.  And also, I’ve noticed that if they DO try for something extraordinary, they get dejected at the first bump in the road.  The first rough spot they hit.  And they give up.  

Life is never going to be easy.  And the best things in this life usually come with a price.

---

“The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”
- Steve Jobs

---

P.S. Big news!  I am going to be starting some online college courses.  Pretty darn excited.

10.02.2014

Write about...



I’m tired of writing what I think you want to hear
Instead I want to write and tell you how I feel
A man I once knew told me a secret -
The secret to writing isn’t about the words
It’s about the meaning behind them
It’s about the emotion
The raw vulnerability
The passion to make a point
Even if you know you’ll be rejected from all sides
It doesn’t matter what the crowd passes as the verdict
What matters is that you say what’s on your heart
What’s on your mind
And if that alone touches just one person
You will have succeeded.
Writing is life
And life has pain
Life has sorrow
Joy
Calamity
Hope
Death
Fight
Passion
Loss
Love
It’s all those things
And those are all the minute details that you must write about
And write them freely
Write them with raw emotion
Write them with the intention
Of touching at least one person
And when someone lashes out at you
When they read your thoughts and feelings
And they seem to judge your every letter
Remember this:
To hate is to feel strongly against someone
But to love is to feel strongly for someone
And when someone hates your work
Be stronger than them
By loving them back
Write to them
Write for them
The world is full of people who hate
Why?
Because they’ve been hurt
Because they’re scared
Because they hide behind their shield of judgement
Always wanting to find the wrong in others
Write about that
Write about reality
Write about life.